HSE & Facilities Manager
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 40 hours per week
About the company
Puraffinity Ltd is a rapidly growing start-up company. We are driven and strive to solve the global problem of PFAS water pollution, working on several water treatment projects in parallel. We work collaboratively and value the opinion of every team member. Our mission is about protecting environmental and human health.
Why join Puraffinity
- We offer great benefits: Vitality Health Care, enhanced pension employer contribution scheme (up to 7.5%), and mental health coaching and support by Spill.
- We offer shares in Puraffinity for all employees, which means you get recognised and rewarded for your hard work
- We care about your learning and development and to support this we have a generous training budget for personal development (up to £2,000 per year).
- A work life balance is important – we offer 25 days annual leave (in addition to the 8 bank holidays) and a hybrid working approach
- We have a very strong diversity and inclusion focus, and in line with this, we have equalised our parental leave and pay for all.
The HSE (Health & Safety, and the Environment) & Facilities Lead will have overall responsibility of the day-to-day operations of the labs and offices and lead on best practice to ensure a fully functionary and safe working environment for the team. This role will have line management of lab technicians and office administrators
This is a fast-paced environment and you will be required to achieve high standards of service delivery, continuous improvement and best value solutions, to support and enable smooth daily operations and growth of the company.
- Take overall responsibility for the smooth and efficient running of the functional infrastructure of the lab (working closely with technicians) and the office (working closely with the office administrator)
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the functional infrastructure of Puraffinity's labs and offices (e.g. leak detection, gas alarm, fumehoods, air con, extraction, wifi, audio-visual, kitchen facilities)
- Ensure all systems are maintained as required and kept in working condition- liaise with external contractors to repair faulty items
- Take the lead in procuring and installing new large items e.g. large items of lab equipment or office furniture, liaising with suppliers and contractors
- Be the primary point of contact with building management and facilities- liaising on any relevant matters
- Lead and manage upgrade or expansion projects
Health and safety
- Ensure compliance with HSE regulations
- Oversee all HSE documentation (e.g. risk assessment, SOPs, COSHH), making sure adequate documentation is in place, is up to date, fit for purpose and has been read and understood by all relevant personnel
- Coordinate (with the help of the HSE committee) continuous improvement exercises to raise health and safety standards
- Organise safety training as appropriate (e.g. first aid, fire training, gas safety) and manage training records
- Ensure personnel have received adequate training for lab-based activities
- Ensure adequate PPE is provided and is in suitable condition
- Co-ordinate with building management on any health and safety issues and to share best practises
- Ensure any work being carried out by third parties is adequately risk assessed (RAMS, insurance)/ the appropriate permits to work (PTW) are in place
- Suggest continuous improvement exercises to raise the level of Quality, Health & Safety and the Environment across the company
- Ensure best practices are adhered to across the company with regards to quality
- Previous experience in a facilities management position
- Strong demonstratable understanding of health and safety requirements and proactive approach to resolving issues before they occur
- Experience in managing a small team would be desirable but is not essential
- Strong experience in project management
- Good organisational skills
- Teamworking ability, attention to detail and interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational and prioritisation skills, able to multi-task and adapt efficiently
For any questions, please reach out to our outsourced HR provider, HRCentral on 0118 324 2526